Began working on the uppercase picture
01T13 — Began working on the uppercase

A font naively designed

Practice

Practice is a geometric monospaced font. It is a project that began during Inktober 2020. I describe this font as naively designed because it’s the first vector font I worked on.

Futura is one of the reference.
fig. Futura is one of the reference.
Inktober 2020 in depth logs
Now that the latin alphabet is complete, there is much less visual output to show. I’ll update milestones.
Today’s task was to get a better balance overall.
The latin alphabet is completely drafted. I also began to work on ponctuation marks.
Began working on uppercase glyphs. “A”, “D”, “E”, “F”, “H”, “I”, “L”, “M”, “N”, “O”, “P”, “R”, “T”, “U”, “V”, “W”, and “Z” were drafted.
Not a big output day, I mostly reworked the ascenders and descenders, and drafted the lowercase of “v”, “w”, “y”, “z” and read about type design online.
I didn’t spent much time on it today. I changed the width of each glyphs and adjusted their size and weight considering the new width value. It’s not yet quite readable on smaller sizes. I drafted new glyphs: “e”, “c”, “g”, “i”, “l”, “j”, “u”, “f”, “0”, “o”, “p” and “q”
I drafted the lowercase “t”, “m” and “n”. I redrew the “h” and made some adjustements on the widths and thickness of each glyphs. It still sucks big time for six glyphs.
I drafted the lowercase “l”, “a”, “d” and “b”. I should fix the sizing issue during this week-end.
I began with the lowercases of “h” and “r”. They have simple shapes that I can reuse with “n”, “p”, etc.
Better ascenders and descenders picture
01T12 — Better ascenders and descenders
Fixed weight issues; some new glyphs picture
01T11 — Fixed weight issues; some new glyphs
Drafted m, n, t; some fixes picture
01T10 — Drafted m, n, t; some fixes
Drafted l, a, d and b picture
01T09 — Drafted l, a, d and b
First glyphs picture
01T08 — First glyphs

Updates


Updated on 01U01, edited 10 times (+36/33fh).

01U00
Completed the latin alphabet draft
01T08
First glyphs
01T01
First log