Began working on the uppercase picture
20T14 — Began working on the uppercase

A font naively designed

NW Practice

NW Practice is a geometric monospaced font. It is a project that began during Inktober 2020. I describe this font as naively designed because it’s the first vector font I worked on.

Futura is one of the reference.
Inktober 2020 in depth logs
Now that the latin alphabet is complete, there is much less visual output to show. I’ll update milestones.
Today’s task was to get a better balance overall.
The latin alphabet is completely drafted. I also began to work on ponctuation marks.
Began working on uppercase glyphs. “A”, “D”, “E”, “F”, “H”, “I”, “L”, “M”, “N”, “O”, “P”, “R”, “T”, “U”, “V”, “W”, and “Z” were drafted.
Not a big output day, I mostly reworked the ascenders and descenders, and drafted the lowercase of “v”, “w”, “y”, “z” and read about type design online.
I didn’t spent much time on it today. I changed the width of each glyphs and adjusted their size and weight considering the new width value. It’s not yet quite readable on smaller sizes. I drafted new glyphs: “e”, “c”, “g”, “i”, “l”, “j”, “u”, “f”, “0”, “o”, “p” and “q”
I drafted the lowercase “t”, “m” and “n”. I redrew the “h” and made some adjustements on the widths and thickness of each glyphs. It still sucks big time for six glyphs.
I drafted the lowercase “l”, “a”, “d” and “b”. I should fix the sizing issue during this week-end.
I began with the lowercases of “h” and “r”. They have simple shapes that I can reuse with “n”, “p”, etc.
Better ascenders and descenders picture
20T13 — Better ascenders and descenders
Fixed weight issues; some new glyphs picture
20T12 — Fixed weight issues; some new glyphs
Drafted m, n, t; some fixes picture
20T11 — Drafted m, n, t; some fixes
Drafted l, a, d and b picture
20T10 — Drafted l, a, d and b
First glyphs picture
20T09 — First glyphs

Updates


Last update on 20U02, edited 10 times (+36/33fh).

20U01
Completed the latin alphabet draft
20T09
First glyphs
20T02
First log